Friday, April 17, 2009

What Is The Meaning Of Respect

Walking up the hill in the neighbourhood, a very senior retired government servant wanted to walk with me, first casually asking me how I was.

“ fine, thank you “

“ The association we formed to champion our cause..…….. it is legal now. “

“ O “

“ We have gone through quite a lot to get to where we are “

“O “

“ there is a lawyer assisting us…….”

“O “

“ Now we are a registered association and there are many things we planned to do “

“O “

“ First we will do this….”

“O “

“ then, we will do this…”

“O “

“ Following that it will be this …..”

“O “

And our plan wil be this….

“ O “

“ We will also extend our work to Bukit Tabur….”

“ O “

“ I heard someone said you have a blog on Bukit Tabur “

“ O, Ya “

“ Have you heard about there were doctors who fell there ?

“ Ya “

“ and they were dead “

“ Ya “

“ Bukit tabur is such a dangerous place !

“ Ya “

“ And the thing is that male and female should not go together climbing up the hill

“ O Ya ? “

“ what do you think “

“ ya “

“ No, I asked what do you think ?

“ O sorry, I didn’t hear what you ask

“ yes, I am asking what do you think ?

“ O, you want to know what I think, how about this ? I am interested to hear what you think, then I tell you what I think , Is that OK ? "

“ OK, I think they should ……..”

“ I think they shouldn’t………”

“ I think they must ………...”

“ I think they mustn’t…….…”

“ I think they could have………”

“ I think they couldn’t have……….”

“ You know in this world…….…”

“ You know the after world……..…”

“ Better, they did this……..…”

“ Better they don’t do this…..…”

“ People will….”

“ people will not…”

“ you know this….”

“ you don’t know this….”

She kept on and on ranting away……..……and away………... until I interrupted,

“ Hei So & So, I don’t know them personally and it’s not for me to form any opinion on them. I think you should also stop ranting to me or to any other person………………… about these two doctors.………………… It is none of your business or my business………….. to say whatever they should or should not, ....... they would have or wouldn't have……, they could or could not……. to another person, please give some care to respect, which they deserve as individual…………

“ why ? “

“ reason is whatever happened, none of us can help to change the situation. “

“ but you should know more so that going up mountain,…. you should …. And you shouldn’t…… you should have, and shouldn't have......……..………. “

“O ! Hei so and so, I did a little research on these two doctors. Lots of blogs in the net , some are written by parents, some are written by children, many griefed the passing on of these two doctors………….. ”

“ How they have lost their doctors ……who were so very responsible to the nitty gritty details of their medical conditions and needs……. If they are careful towards other, you think so they will take their own life so lightly ? "

" something terribly wrong must have happened and it’s not for us to dwell in that, may be you can google up and search for yourself if you have not done so. Many blogs said they were goods doctors “

“ I seldom use computers , my husband uses lots of computer, which blogs say like that ? "“

“……there are lots of different thoughts on them, some who said unkind remarks like you, I think this is very insensitive to the family and friends ……………who have known them in their own special way. ”

“ You aware some of the good things…………. they have brought to the medical society in Malaysia and the world beyond through Mercy Malaysia ? ”

“ O, Is it ? "

“ do you know them personally ? “

“ No “

“ For me, I highlighted the accidents in my blog because we are doing some work



to bring awareness that safety is important in Bukit Tabur

I have the opportunity to see some hits on people searching the net for the two doctors from the site meter in my blog.

I have gathered 40 pages of these statictics which showed there are many hits, ( if I could show her then, I would ) here are some pages selected


( click on the picture to see details & clearer pixel )


Many are from Malaysia and some around the world searching for the two doctors after the news reported by the medias that they died.

I don’t exactly know who these people are and their motives in searching for the two doctors.




I hope they will read what we chose to remember,


and respect them for who they were and honour them for what they have done.



So that the example of doing these spectacular deeds to impact lives will continue ….


Let us not remember them for how they died - but how they lived. "


I was trying to end the conversation by stealing a quote from Dr. Jemilah Mahmood, the President of Mercy Malaysia tribute to both the late Dr Amin Tai and Dr Haliza Shafie.


I just couldn't wait to take my chance to hammer home what I think off my chest,

I kept on…..

You aware what you are doing now is gossiping ? guessing and talking about another person without knowing them is malicious and judgemental and having no respect for them ?

“………..………………………..”

“ I am no defender of anybody here , in my blog, I write about not only these two late doctors, but a string of others, such as ....


( With two hours of life, what will you do, posting on March 3, 2009 )

In my posting, each person I brought up have a life of their own………….Some of them is still alive, some of them already passed on…..

and I just highlight some of the good deeds these people are doing, so that the sparks of what they have started, will be caught on .........…and it will encourage others to do likewise…………………………………

……. so that our world will be a better place to live…………………………………………………………………………..

I choose to remember some of the good things people are doing……………………………………………………..

and have done so that these examples of good deeds will be cherished by those who are living,……

…. may be those who lives longer than them…………… will learn a thing or two to look outside themselves and do some good to others, to the society, to the world beyond their own circle and boundry…… ……………………………………………………………………………and..………………………………………………………………………………………………so…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………then they will learn ..........and .............…………………………………………………………………… on and on………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

trying to cut me out, “ what is your blog name ?

“ On my thoughts, it’s http://thetrekkers.blogspot.com and on Bukit Tabur http://bukittabur.blogspot.com/


“ But you know Agnes, I never read blog !!! “


Earlier on before leaving the house, I had wanted to enjoy my evening walk, after having walked 6 kilometers or so, I gave her an excuse, and walked away to catch my first breathful of fresh air before heading home.

No comments: